Manchester United latest: Van Gaal reports and Moyes’ statement

Louis Van Gaal

News, views and rumours relating to Manchester United in the past few hours.

Following the sacking of David Moyes on Tuesday, Netherlands manager Louis van Gaal remains the favourite to take over at Manchester United next season.

The 62-year-old Dutchman has expressed an interest in making a move to the Premier League, and his relationship with striker Robin van Persie via the Netherlands national team is expected to be a strong positive for the Red Devils after the World Cup in Brazil this summer.

Meanwhile, United could face a loss of £200 million over the sacking of Moyes. The Scot, who came in to replace Sir Alex Ferguson last summer, signed a six-year contract but was fired after just 10 months in charge.

The cost of failing to qualify for the Champions League plus the transfer funds needed to rebuild the team and the new manager’s salary could cost the club between £150-200 million next year, according to figures reported in The Guardian today.

Moyes broke his silence to thank his staff, the former manager and the fans but, crucially, did not thank the players.

'To have been appointed as manager of Manchester United, one of the biggest football clubs in the world, was and remains something of which I will always be incredibly proud', he said in a written statement following his departure.

Sir Alex is expected to help decide who should follow Moyes as United manager next season – the Scot played key a role in appointing his compatriot last year and will be asked to give his opinion along with fellow club legend and director Sir Bobby Charlton.

Club legend Paul Scholes led the players in training today alongside interim manager Ryan Giggs at the Aon sponsored Carrington training complex.

Elsewhere, former United captain Roy Keane stated the players should be ashamed of themselves after the disappointing season under Moyes.

'I think it's a shame - he should have been given more time', Keane said.

'Some of the players should be ashamed of themselves because they really let him down'.

In transfer news, The Guardian reports that United are set to beat Chelsea to sign Luke Shaw for a fee reported to be £30 million for the Southampton and England full-back.

In other news, United youngster Adnan Januzaj has decided to play for Belgium at international level, according to Marc Wilmots, the national team coach.

Register for MANCHESTER UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch