Tottenham Hotspur manager Tim Sherwood has already shown he is not averse to giving youth a chance. And another young Spurs player was given a place in the match-day squad against Liverpool – this time in the form of Harry Winks.
So for those who are keen to find out more about him, here are five facts to get you started:
1) Winks is a central midfielder who is enjoying a swift trajectory under Sherwood. The 18-year-old is currently a second-year in Spurs’ academy, featuring predominantly for the under-18s.
2) The teenager has made four appearances for the under-21s, the last of which was in a 2-0 victory over their Arsenal counterparts. Winks scored the vital second with a fine finish into the roof of the net.
3) The player had previously featured against Middlesbrough, Southampton and West Bromwich Albion at under-21 level this season, building on his appearances in the FA Youth Cup and NextGen Series last year.
4) Winks has previously made the bench for Tottenham’s first-team, for the Europa League quarter-final second-leg against Benfica. However, he did not get on the pitch on that occasion.
5) The midfielder has six caps for England under-17s, the last of which came against Holland in February. Along with Shaq Coulthirst, Winks has been given plenty of opportunities to train with the Tottenham first-team this season. And it appears he will be given more chances in the future, provided Sherwood remains in charge.