The Nantes man told Lazio Style Radio on Wednesday that he will join the Aquile come the end of the current campaign, following on from widespread speculation in the past months.
“Hi guys, I’m Filip Djordjevic, a new Lazio player in the upcoming season,” he said. “I’m very happy and excited about joining such a big club.
“I hope that we will encounter great moments all together.”
Djodjevic’s announcement came as a bit of a surprise due to the unexpected timing, though reports as early as December has claimed the Serbian make the move to the Italian capital.
Canal + maintained in late 2013 that the 26-year-old had agreed terms with Lazio a switch in the winter transfer window, whilst Sky Sport Italia’s Gianluca Di Marzio claimed in January that the striker would arrive at the Stadio Olimpico in June.
Tottenham Hotspur were reported to have made an unsuccessful last ditch attempt to hijack the move, West Ham, Liverpool and Everton all having been linked with Djodjevic’s signature earlier this season.
According to Di Marzio, the Bosman free transfer has signed a four-year contract with Lazio worth €1.7m annually after tax, with incentives potentially taking earnings to €2m.
Miroslav Klose appears nearly certain to leave the Eternal City with the Serbia international’s arrival confirmed, the veteran’s out of a contract in June and exploring his options.
Djordjevic has scored nine goals in 26 appearances this term in the French top flight after leading Nantes’ promotion charge from Ligue 2 last year with 20 strikes.