The Slovakian has developed into one of Europe’s most coveted playmakers joining the Partenopei in 2007 as a 20-year-old, a driving force in the club’s return to elite status in Serie A.
Hamsik enjoyed an excellent start to life under new boss Rafael Benitez this term - six goals in his first 10 appearances - dictating play in the centre of the Spaniard’s attacking midfield trident.
But matters soon turned sour for the 26-year-old as he suffered a debilitating foot injury at the end of November that would rule him out until late January.
Since returning from the treatment table, the Napoli talisman has struggled to recover top form and come in for plenty of criticism through a string of disappointing performances.
Former Napoli coach Gianni Di Marzio sent tongues wagging on Wednesday in claiming that Hamsik will be the first man sold this summer if Benitez remains on the bench at the San Paolo.
Manchester United and Chelsea - both of whom had previously been linked with the creative midfielder - were subsequently tipped to engage in a tug-of-war for the £25m rated man.
Hamsik was critical of his own display against Porto midweek in Europa League action, referring to himself as “not the man I once was” - casting doubt over his short-term future.
But the Slovakia international has now stepped forward to clarify his situation, noting he has no intentions of ending his Napoli career and is focused on getting back to his best.
“I’m happy to stay with Napoli,” he told Sky Sport Italia. “I’ve always said so and will continue to do so.
“I’ve always felt the confidence of everyone, and now it’s time for me to repay it.
“It’s normal to reflect on my performance, I have to recover from concerns over the game.
“Now I’m thinking about the league match against Torino, and then the return leg with Porto.”
Hamsik’s agent stated last summer that his client’s intention is to see out his career with Napoli and ‘become what Francesco Totti has to Roma’.