On this day: Fergie rules out Ronaldo return and Tottenham's plan to keep Bale

Cristiano Ronaldo United

The headlines on this day last year including news from Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United and Spurs.

There were plenty of talking points to come out of the weekend’s action with Arsenal falling to defeat away at Stoke City while Manchester City won the first piece of silverware this season with victory in the League Cup final against Sunderland.

What were the stories making the headlines on this day last year? We’ve looked through the archives for some of the best pieces.

‘Fergie dismisses Ronaldo speculation’

Former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson dismissed the idea that Cristiano Ronaldo could re-join the club.

Ronaldo is consistently linked with a move back to Old Trafford but Fergie threw doubt over any imminent return for the Portuguese winger.

“As far as I am aware, there is ­nothing in it at all. Ronaldo has got two years left on his contract and it seems to me it is all part of the ­negotiations that are going on about a new deal,” said Ferguson.

‘Spurs set to offer Bale deal’

The Mirror ran a report suggesting that Tottenham Hotspur would offer Gareth Bale a new contract worth £160,000 per week of the team qualified for the Champions League.

It’s around this time last year that talk over a move to Real Madrid really started to gather pace for the Welshman.

“Tottenham will offer Bale up to £160,000-a-week to try to keep the Welshman if the club qualifies for the Champions League,” wrote Matt Law.

‘Arsenal set for £1.5 billion takeover’

The Sunday Telegraph and the Sun both published reports claiming that a Middle Eastern Investment group were set to offer the huge sum of £1.5 billion to take over Arsenal.

The deal would have been almost double what the Glazers paid for Manchester United (£800 million) with the funds reportedly coming from Qatar and the UAE.

“A meeting has already been requested with (Kroenke) to discuss the proposed offer. The seriousness of the bid is reinforced by the recent successful takeovers of Manchester City and Paris St-Germain by Middle East backers,” reported the Telegraph.

‘Benitez ‘doomed’ at Chelsea’

Rafael Benitez’ former colleague Christian Purslow claimed that the Spaniard was always destined for the exit door at Chelsea.

Several Chelsea supporters never got behind Benitez last season due to comments he made about the club during his time in charge of Liverpool, where he worked alongside former managing director Purslow.

“So I've got to say that when I saw him taking this job, going to a club where the reverse is true, on a temporary basis, no role in transfers, no total control, there wasn't a fit,” Purslow told the BBC.

image: © gordonflood

Register for ARSENAL team updates

Register for CHELSEA team updates

Register for MANCHESTER UNITED team updates

Register for TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch