UEFA Youth League round-up: Wins for Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City

Serge Gnabry Arsenal 2

English sides played superbly as the UEFA Youth League returned this week.

There was good news all round in the UEFA youth League this week with Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal all winning their ties to progress to the next phase of the competition.

England’s represented clubs played some of the best football in the competition during the group stage and now face tense battles in the quarter-finals, which could prompt confrontations with each other in the last four.

Here’s a brief round up of the games.

Atletico Madrid 0-1 Manchester City

Devante Cole scored the only goal of the game for Manchester City as they defeated a very talented and capable Atletico Madrid side.

Cole bagged his goal from close range just after the halfway point in the first-half and City’s defence held out superbly in the face of intense late pressure from the home team.

City had more attempts on goal with 12 compared to ten but they conceded more fouls with 16 compared to 14, which is an area to work on as they can’t afford for discipline to cost them heading into the later rounds.

Chelsea 4-1 Atletico Madrid

The Blues’ youngsters took apart their Italian counterparts in a superb performance which included a spectacular goal from Lewis Baker.

The match started in cagey fashion with both teams sussing each other out and examining the tactics being used before Baker scored his first goal in the 44th minute to give the Blues an advantage heading into the break.

Jeremie Boga added a second before Baker’s second goal, a superb strike from 30 yards out, extended Chelsea’s lead to 3-0. Alex Kiwomya added a fourth before Andrea Petagna grabbed a goal for Milan.

Chelsea had more attempts on goal and conceded fewer fouls throughout the match so they can be pleased with their performance.

Arsenal 3-1 Shakhtar Donetsk

A very talented Arsenal side, led by Serge Gnabry, completed a comfortable win over the Ukrainians.

Arsenal struck first with Jon Toral bagging the opener before a piece of slack defending just before half-time allowed Andriy Boryachuk to grab the equaliser.

The stern talking to Arsenal were likely to have received at half-time worked a treat as Gnabry bagged Arsenal’s second goal of the game to put the Gunners back in front.

Kristoffer Olsson scored from the penalty spot just two minutes later after coming off the bench to put Arsenal through.

Arsenal face Barcelona in the next round while Chelsea take on Schalke and Manchester City host Benfica.

image: © nextgenphoto

Register for ARSENAL team updates

Register for CHELSEA team updates

Register for MANCHESTER CITY team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch