Everton’s youth development has been in the news in recent weeks, with first-team manager Roberto Martinez praising the starlets at the club while George Green and his young teammates helped fire the Toffees to the quarter-finals of the FA Youth Cup.
And now another young player is set to arrive at Goodison Park in the form of 15-year-old Steven Kinsella.
Here are five facts about Everton’s newest recruit:
1) Kinsella was reportedly on the radar of Manchester United, Tottenham and Chelsea among others before Everton secured his signature.
2) He may only be 15, but he is already an Ireland under-17 international and impressed after playing – and scoring – for his country against Everton’s under-18s.
3) He joined Templeogue United’s Academy when he was eight, and will remain at the club until the end of the current campaign. The side has produced previous Premier League alumni including Richard Dunne.
4) The winger was convinced to sign for the Toffees after a personal visit from Martinez, who flew over to Dublin to meet with Kinsella and his family.
5) Academy manager Alan Irvine is extremely excited to be working with such a prodigious talent, and recently said, “He is a very talented player who was wanted by many other clubs and who has decided to come to Everton. He’s a winger who has the ability to go past players and we are very much looking forward to working with him.”
image: © fabiopao