Arsene Wenger has been continuously linked with a new goalkeeper over the past few years. Wojciech Szczęsny has held the number one spot for the last three years but that hasn't stopped the speculation. Łukasz Fabiański, meanwhile, has waited patiently and finally got a chance on Wednesday as Szczęsny was sent off in their Champions League tie against Bayern Munich.
At the start of the season, The Gunners brought in Emiliano Viviano on loan from Palermo and it was unclear what role he would play at the club. He has sat on the bench as Szczęsny 's understudy for the majority of the season, but now seems to be third choice behind Fabiański.
The Metro has reported that Arsenal are now eyeing up a move for another goalkeeper; Simone Scuffet of Udinese. Here are five facts about the 'keeper:
1) Scuffet is just 17, and won't celebrate his 18th birthday until the end of the season in May.
2) He was born in Udine and therefore Udinese are his hometown club.
3) He only made his debut for Udinese on February 1 this year but has already caught the eye of a few admirers. Juventus are also said to be interested.
4) Simone has been capped 21 times at youth level for Italy.
5) The 17-year-old has Željko Brkić, Ivan Kelava, and Francesco Benussi as competition for the goalkeeping place at Udinese but looks set to keep his place after impressing in his first few games.
Fabiański and Viviano are set to leave Arsenal at the end of the season and at just 17-years-old, Scuffet is clearly one for the future and would be back-up to Szczęsny at Arsenal. Although he is getting games at his current club which is rare for a player of that age as a goalkeeper. He may not be too keen to sacrifice that for a move to a bigger club.
image: © Flavio Di Pietro