I call upon you now, oh fellow gamers, rally to and support me in this most monumental of challenges!
I’m setting myself a goal… albeit a very loose goal, but a goal nonetheless!
I’m going to play every single one of the games on my Steam list. Whilst some people may not see the ‘goal’ in this, others may. My Steam games library currently consists of 274 games. A large portion of which I have either not finished, or never even played. I could even mention my infinite list of movies and TV shows I ‘need’ to watch, but that’s another story.
Through a culmination of impulse buying during Steam’s incredible sales, Humble Bundles, and games gifted to me by friends, I’ve built up quite the backlog of gaming experiences. It’s not about getting my money’s worth here, this is more about experiencing what these games have to offer, be it good or bad.
My games library seems to have grown dramatically over the past 3 years or so, and I have tried to do this before, but in a random fashion. I’d pick out a game I felt like playing at the time, only to bag myself another bargain a few days later and begin to play that, leaving the other games to be left behind and eventually uninstalled.
This time is different (honest), this time I’m coming at it with a specific plan, and a set of rules.
A-Z. Simple, I will work from top of the list, beginning with the letter A, all the way down to the final game beginning with Z, or closest to it.
1. If I have played and finished a game before, skip it and move onto the next.
2. If I have played the game before, but not finished it, install and continue from the last save (if possible) or start from scratch and play until finished
3. If I haven’t played the game before, fire it up and get stuck in!
4. If the game ‘cannot be completed’, for instance a roguelike or multiplayer-only then a minimum of 8 hours is to be played.
5. If a game is part of a series, they are to be played chronologically, but this isn’t a strict rule
6. A minimum of the main storyline must be completed, where applicable, and side quests/missions are optional
7. A game where I have spent a stupid amount of time on a single section due to sheer difficulty can be skipped after a total 8 hours of play time
8. I can play a total of 2 games side-by-side (if I choose). One must be from the Steam library, and the other can be anything I wish. This is to keep me from going insane, if I hit a game that’s unbearable.
And that’s that, it’s time for me to get started. The first game is Age of Empires III – this little beaut has been sat on my games list for about 2 years now I think, and I loved AoE II so I’m looking forward to this.
I will keep you updated on my progress as I go along, and you can share in my determination.
You can find plenty of challenges and lists like this on the internet, where people have challenged themselves and each other to attempt a similar feat. Are you up to date with your games library? Have you ever attempted to do something similar? Let us know in the comments below!