News, views and rumours relating to Manchester United in the past 24 hours.
Manchester United drew 2-2 with Fulham at Old Trafford on Sunday.
Manager David Moyes admitted the draw with Fulham was ‘a new low’ and ‘as bad as it gets’ after Darren Bent scored a late equaliser to deny the Premier League champions the three points.
“It's been a bit like that this season. [Sunday] was as bad as it gets. We dominated,” said Moyes after the game.
The boss also admitted it was ‘worse than he’d thought’ and the goal conceded in the 90th minute to the Cottagers as ‘diabolical’.
"Even when it was 2-1 and they put five minutes [of added time] up Fulham never came up the pitch, they left us with the ball. So it was nearly a case of just playing out time and we gave away a diabolical second goal,” he explained.
United crossed the ball 82 times during the game and scored from none of them, leading Fulham defender Dan Burn to compare the Red Devils’ performance to ‘Conference football’.
“I was just saying to the lads that I've never headed that many balls since the Conference,” Burn said.
Club record signing Juan Mata believes United were ‘unlucky’ but must improve their performance without making excuses.
"It seems that luck is not on our side, but I don't like to give excuses," Mata wrote on his blog.
"We have to get better and improve our shooting accuracy, because we got many times to the box and could have scored more than two goals.”
Manchester United take on Arsenal this Wednesday in the Premier League clash at the Emirates.
In team news, Marouane Fellaini has suffered a 'hamstring blow’ on his road to recovery.
‘Travel chaos’ could hamper fans attending the game with the Gunners with underground strikes planned for Wednesday in London. The 48-hour strike action planned coinciding with the fixture has led Arsenal to warn fans of ‘severe travel disruption’.
In transfer news, United are linked with Everton fullback Seamus Coleman after an impressive season so far for the 25-year-old Ireland international currently playing at Moyes’ former club.
Meanwhile, United legend Andy Cole believes United might have to spend £200 million to compete next term.
“When you have a situation where Manchester City are prepared to spend £50m on two centre-halves – then you have to consider the possibility that they (United) may go out and spend £200m this summer,” stated Cole.
image: © joncandy