Meulensteen's men are rock bottom of the Premier League table and were knocked out of the FA Cup by struggling League One side Sheffield United this week.
The Dutchman only took over from Martin Jol in December but reports in the Daily Mail suggest he is fighting for his future, with an improved performance expected of his side when Fulham travel to Manchester United on Sunday.
Emphasis will be placed on the club's defensive performances, with Meulensteen said to be focusing all of his pre-match training on defensive drills, as well as seeking the advice of technical director Alan Curbishley and assistant head coach Ray Wilkins. Fulham have conceded 53 Premier League goals so far this term.
However, Curbishley is said to be ready to take the job on if 49-year-old Meulensteen is sacked.
For his part, the current Fulham boss is optimistic that his side's fortunes will change once their six new signings take to the field.
“Everyone can see that we have been a team that has not got the results that we wanted,” Meulensteen told reporters.
“We are trying ever so hard to get out of it. But there is not a direct fix or solution and hopefully the new players coming in can help us fix it."
image: © nicksarebi