Manchester City have been linked with a move for promising defender Jonathan Tah
Reports have suggested that Manchester City are working on a deal to bring in highly-rated 17-year-old Hamburg defender, Jonathan Tah.
His agent Akeem Adewunmi has insisted that City have not signed the defender however, and Hamburg are working on a contract extension.
So who is Jonathan Tah?
Here are five facts about the 17-year-old defender.
1) Tah made his first start for Hamburg in a game against Werder Bremen in September, and has gone on to play in 15 Bundesliga games.
2) The 17-year-old was born in Hamburg and has represented the Germany U-17 side on 13 occasions.
3) He signed a new deal with his hometown club in November that tied him down to the club till 2018, however FIFA have stated that anyone under 18 cannot sign a contract for longer than three years. They have therefore not recognised the contract.
4) Tah is of Ivorian descent and will have the option to play for Ivory Coast if he wishes, although he looks set to go on to represent the German national side at senior level.
5) Hamburg are hoping to insert a minimum release clause of £25 million into his contract on his 18th birthday in order to give themselves some protection.
Goal claim that Manchester City are planning a £6 million move for him and are trying to stop Hamburg inserting the minimum fee release clause. The whole contract situation is a rather confusing one. It is made worse by the fact the player's father is planning on taking his agent, Akeem Adewunmi to court. He believes he is not acting in the best interests of his son.
His father told Hamburger Morgensport "I should never have him signed with him. I will go to court. According to FIFA rules, the contract is invalid because it is more than three years. This is not allowed for a minor. I will make sure that Adewunmi has nothing to do with my son."
The ace in the pack for Manchester City could be that they have Sebastian Arnesen as a scout at the club and his father Frank, was the sporting director at the club until last year. This could give them some insider knowledge.
image: © Gene Hunt