Liverpool morning news: Ince turned down Anfield move - fourth player club missed out on

Welcome To Anfield

A selection of the key stories involving Liverpool Football Club this Wednesday morning

Thomas Ince turned down the opportunity to join Liverpool last month according to his father and ex-Liverpool midfielder, Paul.

The winger joined Crystal Palace on deadline day, with Paul quoted in the Liverpool Echo saying a move to Anfield would have come too early for his son.

He said: ‘Liverpool were in but I don’t think Thomas is ready to go to Liverpool yet.

‘Brendan [Rodgers] has done very well there and he does play the kids but for his progression as a footballer it needed to be a Stoke, a Swansea, a Palace or a Hull at this point.

‘Maybe in two or three years’ time that might be a move for him.’

This indicates it's a fourth player to have turned down a move to Anfield during the transfer business in January – with the Reds missing out on Mohamed Salah to Chelsea, Seydou Keita to Valencia whilst Yevhen Konoplyanka fell through, meaning he stayed at Dnipro.

Konoplyanka, who came very close to joining Liverpool, has said he does feel ‘a little resentment’ over not being able to move to Merseyside.

The Ukrainian told reporters after he was asked if he was upset over the move breaking down, he said: ‘Not at all upset! Well, I will not hide it… there is a little resentment.

‘But life goes on. I need to treat this like a sleep. I woke up and carried on. I will search for the next dream. I hope that everything will turn out okay.’

image: © 36-degrees

Register for LIVERPOOL team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch