Quick links

The FA Cup

The top five FA Cup comebacks in recent memory

It is exactly 10 years to the day since Manchester City's 4-3 win over Tottenham, having been 3-0 down but what are the other classic turnarounds?

Today marks 10 years since Manchester City's incredible 4-3 FA Cup win over Tottenham at White Hart Lane, with the Blues coming out on top despite finding themselves three down at the interval.

Goals from Ledley King, Robbie Keane and Christian Ziege put Spurs firmly in command and Joey Barton's dismissal right on the stroke of half-time left City in disarray, but Sylvain Distin pulled one back before Paul Bosvelt gave City genuine hope of a shock comeback by notching a second with a deflected effort.

Shaun Wright-Phillips then levelled the scores with just 10 minutes left, before a goal deep in stoppage time from Jonathan Macken sent the travelling City fans into delirium.

But while this ranks as possibly the finest comeback in the history of the competition, it is in illustrious company, as these five stunning results will attest.

1) Aston Villa 2-3 Manchester United

2-0 up with just 13 minutes remaining, Villa appeared to be cruising through their third-round FA Cup tie in 2001/2002 against Manchester United with the minimum of fuss.

Ian Taylor's 51st-minute strike was followed up by Phil Neville's own-goal soon after and Villa looked to have sealed a place in round four, but United had other ideas.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer got the ball rolling with a well-taken goal before substitute Ruud Van Nistelrooy, as he often did in United colours, turned the game on its head with a quickfire double in the last 10 minutes to break the home side's hearts.

2) Arsenal 1-2 Liverpool

The Gunners had dominated large spells of the 2001 FA Cup final and had a stonewall penalty turned down when Thierry Henry's shot was handled on the line by Stephane Henchoz, having rounded Sander Westerveld.

But Arsene Wenger's side were finally rewarded for their perseverance when Freddie Ljungberg capitalised on Westerveld's error to round the Dutchman from Robert Pires' pass.

But up stepped Michael Owen to somehow win the cup single-handedly with a late double to leave Arsen stunned.

His first was a hooked finish after poor defending from Gary McAllister's free-kick before scoring a wonderful winner by outpacing both Lee Dixon and Tony Adams before slotting past David Seaman as the Reds sealed the second trophy of an unprecedented treble.

3) Everton 4-4 Liverpool (aet)

This time it was the Reds who were undone by a late sucker punch, as Everton came back on four separate occasions to cancel out each of the visitors' strikes in the fifth-round clash in 1991.

Goals from Peter Beardsley (2), John Barnes and a perennial Merseyside derby strike from Ian Rush had Liverpool's noses in front throughout, with Tony Cottee's brace and a Graeme Sharp goal keeping the Toffees in it.

The match finished 3-3, with Rush putting Liverpool back in front in extra time. Sharp went one further in slamming home an equaliser in the 114th minute to seal a replay, which the Toffees would win 1-0. The draw also meant Kenny Dalglish left his post as Liverpool manager, resigning the next day.

4) Tranmere 4-3 Southampton

Akin to City's win, the First Division - now called the Championship - strugglers were up against Premier League opposition in the Saints and Glenn Hoddle's charges raced into a three-goal lead thanks to goals from Hassan Kachloul, Jo Tessem and the late Dean Richards.

But Rovers manager John Aldridge introduced Stuart Barlow to bolster the forward line at the break and the change paid immediate dividends as Paul Rideout scored a 22-minute hat-trick to silence the visiting faithful.

His first came on 58 minutes, deflecting Andy Parkinson's strike home before heading home and then notching a third to leave the Wirral-based club on the brink of an upset. They realised their opportunity when Barlow bundled home to force a quarter-final against Liverpool.

5) Liverpool 3-3 West Ham (aet - Liverpool win 3-1 on pens)

The 2006 cup final saw West Ham lose in dramatic circumstances, having led the game 2-0 and 3-2 in a pulsating Millennium Stadium encounter.

Jamie Carragher's own-goal from Lionel Scaloni's cross was followed up by Dean Ashton's close-range finish after Pepe Reina had parried Matthew Etherington's strike straight to the influential frontman.

Djibril Cisse superb strike gave Liverpool hope before the break and it soon turned into so much more as Steven Gerrard fired high past Shaka Hislop after a Xabi Alonso free-kick was nodded down by Peter Crouch.

But Paul Konchesky's speculative cross looped over Reina to give the Hammers the lead once more and it wasn't until deep in stoppage time when Gerrard stepped up to slam home a breathtaking low strike from range as Liverpool took the final to extra-time with effectively the last kick.

There was to be no change on the scoreboard in the next 30 minutes, and so it went to penalties, with the Reds prevailing courtesy of successful spot-kicks from Dietmar Hamann, Gerrard and John Arne Riise as Reina made up for a poor performance by saving from Bobby Zamora, Konchesky and Anton Ferdinand.

image: © flawka

FIFA World Cup 2018FIFA 2018 World Cup Russia - click here for all of our coverage...

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch