With John Heitinga on the verge of a move away from Goodison Park, reports this morning suggested that Finnish captain Niklas Moisander was being lined up as a £3 million replacement.
Roberto Martinez does have a superb ability to be able to buy well in the transfer market and Moisander's background suggests he could be a great signing for the Toffees as he heads into his 30s.
Here are five facts about him.
1) The 28-year-old has a twin brother, Henrik, who is a goalkeeper for TPS Turku and who has also played for the Finnish national side with two caps.
2) He’s employed by Ajax, where he’s spent two different spells during his senior career; 2003-2006 where he didn’t make a single appearance and 2012 up to now.
3) He was re-signed in August 2012 by Ajax for €3 million as a replacement for Jan Vertonghen who joined Tottenham Hotspur.
4) The 28-year-old has represented Finland at eight different levels of international football during his career from the under-15s to his 38 caps for the senior side.
5) He has worn the captain’s armband for AZ Alkmaar, Ajax and Finland.
image: © fabiopao