Manchester United's interest in Juan Mata dominates the transfer headlines.
TRANSFER CLOCK: 21 days down, 10 to go until the transfer window closes. Here are the five of the big stories from the past 24 hours...
1) Manchester United are being strongly linked with a £37 million move for Chelsea's Juan Mata, with The Telegraph reporting that they are closing in on the Spaniard. Mata appears surplus to requirements at Chelsea although Jose Mourinho has not explicitly stated that he is welcome to leave. It has previously been thought that the only way a deal could be struck would be in a swap deal with Wayne Rooney, but The Telegraph's report indicates United are seeking to make a cash only offer. Mata racked up an incredible 18 goals and 21 assists in all major competitions for Chelsea last season. The Telegraph's full report can be read here.
The Mirror play spoilsport on this particular story, running their own article in response playing down Manchester United's approach for the talented Spaniard. They wrie in contrast that 'senior United figures' have denied a bid being made for the Chelsea man.
2) Everton have agreed a deal to sign Lacina Traore on loan from AS Monaco, SkySports this evening confirm. Manager Roberto Martinez confirmed he 'really liked' the striker and there were just 'a couple of hurdles' to overcome until the deal is complete. Traore completed a medical earlier today, but needs to have a work permit approved. It is expected to be a formality given he had one approved last week which was requested by West Ham who had appeared in pole position then to sign him.
3) Newcastle United have been linked with a shock move to buy in-demand Basel winger Mohamed Salah. SkySports report that Newcastle are considering an offer for the Egyptian winger who has been strongly linked with a Liverpool. Joe Kinnear also insists that no players will be leaving this January, amid reports last night of a PSG bid for Yohan Cabaye. The midfielder has travelled with the club on their scheduled mid-season break to the Middle East. Claims Newcastle have struck a deal to sign Remy Cabella from Montpellie in the summer have been denied in a report in the Telegraph. Borussia Moenchengladbach striker Luuk de Jong remains linked with a loan switch to the club.
4) West Ham will consider selling wantaway midfielder Ravel Morrison, report The Star. Sam Allardyce has said the matter is in the hands of his chairmen amid interest from Fulham, but the Hammers want at least £10 million for the unsettled but prodigious talent. Morrison, 20, has three goals and two assists in 12 league starts this season.
5) Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy and manager Tim Sherwood are reported to be at odds over bringing Dimitar Berbatov back to the club. The Mirror report that the Spurs chairman has lined up a £1.5 million deal to re-sign the Bulgarian from Fulham, but Sherwood is 'reluctant' to bring the striker on board. Spurs will see Jermain Defoe officially depart for FC Toronto shortly. Sherwood commented at the weekend he feels the club have enough options to 'see them through' even if they make no more striker signings.
image: © Ben Sutherland