News, views and rumours relating to Manchester United in the past 24 hours.
Manchester United lost 3-1 to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.
Despite the defeat manager David Moyes insisted the champions will not ‘give up’ on the title.
"What we don't do is throw the towel in until we can't get there. The job is to finish first and we'll try to do that," said the Scot.
"It is a massive challenge. I hoped we'd be in a better position than we are, but we are not."
Captain Nemanja Vidic was sent off late in the game for a challenge on Chelsea’s Eden Hazard, which David Moyes believes was not worthy of a red card.
“I don’t think it’s a sending off…I think it was probably a bit of tiredness,” he explained.
Vidic conceded the title is ‘gone’ now for United following the defeat to the Blues.
"I think we are too far behind and we have to focus now on the top three or four," Vidic told Sky Sports.
"We have to focus on the [Capital One] Cup and the Champions League.”
In transfer news, The Mirror reports that United could still strike a deal for Koke despite the Atletico Madrid youngster signing a new contract to stay in the Spanish capital at the end of last year.
The same source claims Juventus are set to ‘trump’ United to sign William Carvalho who is a target of David Moyes’ this month as well as being chased by Arsenal. The 20-year-old is now expected to sign for the Italian champions ahead of the Premier League pair.
However, United target Miralem Pjanic has left the ‘door open’ to a transfer from Roma with Paris Saint-Germain also reportedly in pursuit of the Bosnian midfielder who explained he is 'flattered' by interest this month.
“It's flattering and I am sure glad to hear that. I have become a supporter of Roma and should there be a transfer it will require that the three parties agree,” he stated.
The French champions’ summer signing Edinson Cavani is also linked with interest from United who have reportedly moved to ‘cool’ speculation he could leave the French capital.
image: © Gordon Flood