Fulham transfer round up: Berbatov not joining Arsenal, Dembele could return plus a different Paulinho?

Berbatov Fulham

Bulgarian maverick could stay put, ex-Cottager may be on his way back plus a Brazilian striker could arrive on loan.

Dimitar Berbatov’s much-touted move to Arsenal appears to be off after Arsene Wenger made a bid seem unlikely, according to London 24.

The veteran striker has been tipped to fire the Gunners to title glory but Wenger said: Do I rate Berbatov as player? Highly. Have we made any approach to sign Berbatov? No.

“I don’t think [we would look to sign Berbatov] because we have [Nicklas] Bendtner who is coming back, we have Yaya Sanogo who is making very good progress in training.

“Of course we have lost Theo Walcott and that for us was a big blow. Hopefully we can compensate, but we have not made any approach [for Berbatov].”

This will come as a huge boost to Rene Meulensteen who will be banking on the Bulgarian’s goals to ensure Fulham can stay in the Premier League.

Mousa Dembele could make a surprise return to Craven Cottage after a year and a half at Tottenham Hotspur, according to Ladbrokes News.

The Belgian midfield maestro cost Spurs £15m but has struggled to hold down a first team place.

With manager Tim Sherwood preferring to play only two central midfielders and the emergence of youngster Nabil Bentaleb, Dembele could be forced out of the door at White Hart Lane.

The 26-year-old would represent a huge coup if Meulensteen could convince him to return.

Dembele’s fellow Spurs midfielder Paulinho won’t be following him, but somebody with the same name could be making an appearance in the white of Fulham soon, according to Tutto Mercato.

The Italian website reports that Livorno striker Paulinho, 28, is a target for Meulensteen.

Fulham have approached the Serie A strugglers about a possible loan bid for the Brazilian who has 48 goals in 130 games for the club since joining in 2005.

He has previously impressed out on loan at Grosseto and Sorrento.

Cottagers target Ravel Morrison has attempted to distance himself from the speculation surrounding his possible move, according to the BBC.

The midfielder said: “I always try to keep my focus on the next game and show people with my performances that I want to do well for West Ham United.

“I've been working really hard over the past few weeks to get back to full fitness after missing a couple of recent games with a groin injury.

"I'm feeling fine now and I'm hoping to be involved in Saturday's important game with Newcastle and then the Capital One Cup semi-final with Manchester City on Tuesday."

Fulham are still waiting to hear from the Premier League about any possible punishment following West Ham’s complaints after Meulensteen claimed Morrison wanted to move to Craven Cottage.

Meanwhile, the Daily Express have reported that Meulensteen is also trying to lure Mohamed Diame from Upton Park.

The bid which the Fulham manager said was “knocked back” was reported to be a £7.5m offer for both midfielders, something which West Ham were clearly reluctant to accept.

It would be a major shock if Sam Allardyce’s team agreed to let two regular first-team players depart for their relegation battle rivals.

Fulham have also been knocked back in their approach to Leicester City for Liam Moore, according to the BBC .

The 20-year-old centre-back has featured in 22 of the Foxes’ 25 league games this season and is extremely highly rated by the Midlands club.

Elsewhere Bryan Ruiz completed his loan move to PSV Eindhoven for the rest of the season according to the Mirror.

The 28-year-old Costa Rica captain had struggled to impress this season and Meulensteen decided it was for his own good that he goes somewhere to play regularly ahead of the World Cup.

Finally, Fulham have missed out on target Ryan Bertrand, who completed a loan move to Aston Villa from Chelsea, according to Sky Sports.

image: © nicksarebi

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch