TRANSFER CLOCK: 15 days down, 16 down until the Transfer Window re-opens. Here's a run through of five of the biggest stories of the day.
1) Earlier today we speculated that Tottenham selling Lewis Holtby to Schalke would set the wheels in motion for Julian Draxler to join Arsenal, just as their Bale sale did with Mesut Ozil. This evening The Mirror have reported that Tottenham are deciding not to sanction any sale, for fear of inadvertently strengthening their rivals once again. The paper report that chairman Daniel Levy is to personally veto any proposed move.
2) The agent of Brazilian playmaker Everton Ribeiro has confirmed Cruzeiro have rejected an £8.3 million bid from an English club for his services. Manchester United have regularly been linked with the playmaker but Liverpool have too been credited with admiration of the player. The Express speculate that one of the two North-West clubs are behind the mystery offer.
3) Hull City have pulled off the signing of Nikica Jelavic from Everton, confirm The BBC. The Croatian has signed for an undisclosed fee thought to be upwards of £5 million. Jelavic scored twice in the FA Cup win for Everton at the weekend against QPR, his first goals of the season after falling out of favour under new boss Roberto Martinez.
4) Chelsea have made a £21 million bid for left-back Luke Shaw report The Star. The paper report they made the offer before the unrest at Southampton with chairman Nicola Cortese resigning this evening. The paper report that the Saints intend to reject the offer. Questions remain over the future of Ashley Cole, who has been in-and-out of the side this season. Luke Shaw admitted a year ago today that he was a Chelsea fan.
5) Tottenham are willing to sell Etienne Capoue, write The Guardian. The Frenchman was a summer signing from Toulouse and has failed to impress new boss Tim Sherwood. Napoli were reported to have made a formal bid 24 hours ago, with Spurs apparently happy to listen to offers, telling the midfielder he is at the bottom of the pecking order at the club.
image: © DerHans04