Liverpool latest: Four linked with Anfield moves, former star questions Rodgers

Liverpool Supporters

A round up of the key news and transfer stories about Liverpool from the past 24 hours.

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has backed midfield superstar Philippe Coutinho to emulate Real Madrid’s Luka Modric. Rodgers has suggested the Brazilian will start scoring more goals for the club.

“I think Coutinho will get more [goals] too. I look at him as a Luka Modric type. And when you look at Modric over four years at Tottenham he got 13 goals [in the league] but his influence was massive and Coutinho is of that type,” said Rodgers.

Rodgers has come in for some criticism from former Liverpool star John Aldridge, who has questioned the manager’s transfer policy as he tries to get the club into the Champions League.

“I was disappointed to read the manager saying that strengthening the team may have to wait until the summer - We all know we need to take advantage of this window to try to ensure we have what's required to remain in the Champions League spots,” said Aldridge as per the Liverpool Echo.

In transfer news, an Italian site, Sportmediaset, has suggested Liverpool will match Napoli’s offer for Hellas Verona star Jorginho. Rafa Benitez’ club are reported to have offered an initial €7.5 million with a further €2.5 million in add ons based on future appearances.

Staying with Napoli, TalkSport has suggested the club will go after midfield enforcer Gokhan Inler. The 29-year-old Swiss star has been a key part of Benitez’ plans at the Italian club so far this season so any deal could be both difficult and expensive.

Liverpool are set to loan out 20-year-old defender Tiago Ilori. Ilori has struggled to get into the first team at Anfield since he arrived from Sporting Lisbon last summer. He’s yet to make his first team debut for the club and Sky Sports has suggested Sporting are at the front of the queue to take him back to Portugal.

LIVE Premier League match alerts to your phone - goals, red cards, half and full time scores

Brendan Rodgers has been handed a blow through another Italian source, Gazzetta dello Sport, as Torino head Urbano Cairo has ruled out Alessio Cerci leaving the club.

“As for as I am concerned he isn't for sale but a lot also depends on him. If, in the future, he wants to consider offers from big and rich clubs then of course we will talk again,” said Cairo.

As the rumour mill spins round, another name from an Italian club has been linked with an Anfield switch. Udinese’s Emmanuel Agyemang Badu is a target for Liverpool according to Sky Sport Italia with a £7 million price tag on the head of the 23-year-old.

In other news, Aldridge has claimed that goalkeeper Simon Mignolet needs protection. Aldridge has called on the defence to do more to stop the Belgian from being exposed.

“The keeper should have done better with Stoke’s third goal, but overall on Sunday I was more concerned with how his back four left Mignolet exposed. Full-backs are there to stop crosses coming in but we allowed far too many balls to come into our box,” he wrote in the Liverpool Echo.

image: © ekilby

Register for LIVERPOOL team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch