13 days down, 18 to go until the Transfer Window closes. Here are five of the biggest stories of the day.
1) Manchester United's hope of bringing Paul Pogba back to Old Trafford is said to be increasing, with a report in The Times suggesting it is a possibility. The Express suggested yesterday that Pogba was open to a return, but the increased credibility of The Times' reporting the option gives United fans fresh hope.
Paul Pogba could make Manchester United return as part of rebuilding http://t.co/ZCD9DU2TVf— Times Sport (@TimesSport) January 13, 2014
Pogba left Manchester United to sign with Juventus in the summer of 2012 where he has grown into one of the world's most highly rated midfielders. As we explained yesterday, the situation is far from simple with French champions PSG said to be prepared to offer Juventus a staggering fee for his services and more than treble his wages.
United's potential summer dealings are given even more spice by The Mail's claim the club have held talks with Juventus over a sensational double move for both Paul Pogba and Arturo Vidal.
With reports United have £100 million to spend in the summer, there is every chance the Red Devils would have to spend the lot to acquire both players. The Mail claim David Moyes held talks with the Juventus hierarchy while he was in Italy at the weekend, despite the manager's claims he was there purely on a holiday. The Mail contradict the Times, claiming United will 'have their work cut out' tempting Pogba back to Old Trafford.
2) Lewis Holtby is being linked with a return to former club Schalke by German newspaper Bild. The Tottenham Hotspur star left the Bundesliga side to join Spurs 12 months ago but has played just one Premier League game since Tim Sherwood took over as manager. The Times report Spurs have told him he is welcome to open negotiations with his former club.
Tottenham have told their frustrated midfielder Lewis Holtby he can make a permanent move back to Schalke are now ready to open negotiations— Telegraph Sport (@TelegraphSport) January 13, 2014
Another Spurs star linked with an exit is midfielder Etienne Capoue who arrived just last summer but also finds himself out of favour with Tim Sherwood. Respected Italian journalist Gianluca di Marzio claims Napoli have made an offer of €9 million, having seen a move for Lyon's Maxime Gonalons fall through last week.
» Napoli, offerta per Capoue: i dettagli http://t.co/XQfC1A8SM2— Gianluca Di Marzio (@dimarzio) January 13, 2014
3) Newcastle United have allowed Jonas Gutierrez to join Norwich City on loan until the rest of the season. The 30-year-old midfielder had made just one start for Newcastle all season, and one appearance from the bench. And know the saying about 'don't believe it until you see them wearing the shirt', well here he is...
Argentinian international midfielder Jonas Gutierrez joins City on loan from Newcastle until June 30 pic.twitter.com/leKSHJTd3L— Norwich City FC (@NorwichCityFC) January 13, 2014
4) Manchester United midfielder Anderson is tipped to complete a loan move to Fiorentina, but it is not done yet. The Brazilian has struggled to make an impact under David Moyes and needs a move to rejuvenate his career. Reports of a deal being done however are premature. His agent Jorge Mendes was quizzed on the rumours at the FIFA Ballon d'Or gala,stating: "I do not know, we will talk tomorrow." There is no confirmation from either Manchester United or Fiorentina as yet, but we won't be surprised to see the deal go through this week.
5) Nemanja Matic was at the Ballon d'Or awards and was quizzed about his impending move to Chelsea. He insisted he was still very much a Benfica player, but did not suggest his heart was set on staying. SkySports reported: "I still can't say anything about this, let's see what happens in the future, you have to ask the club and the president. If it's good for the club and for me, we'll talk. Let's see what happens until 31 January."
image: © dullhunk