The London rivals have been linked with a move for Atletico Madrid’s Saul Niguez – but what do we know about the youngster?
The media have followed on as Arsenal and Chelsea have both been linked with star Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa this January, however it may well be another player from the Vicente Calderon that the London giants do battle over.
A report in the British press today has suggested that scouts from both the Emirates Stadium and Stamford Bridge have been watching 19-year-old Saul Niguez – an Atletico Madrid midfielder on loan at Rayo Vallecano.
The report suggests that both Arsenal and Chelsea have touched base with Diego Simeone’s men to state their interest in the star – but what do we know about him?
- Niguez actually started out in the Real Madrid academy, before switching to the Atletico equivalent in 2008.
- He made his debut in senior football for Atletico B in 2010, and has represented the reserve side 70 times, scoring seven goals.
- The talented midfielder made his debut for Ateltico’s first team in March 2012 in a European clash against Besiktas.
- The teenager has only played for the Ateltico first-team twice, with the other occasion again in Europe against Hapoel Tel-Aviv.
- Niguez has been on loan at Ray Vallecano this season and has put in a number of excellent individual performances. He has played 16 times, scoring once.
- The prodigious midfielder has been involved in Spanish age-grade football from under-16 level all the way through to the under-21 side, who he has played for six times.
image: © fdecomite