Mauricio Pochettino has been linked with a summer exit from Southampton by Italian media, who claim that the Argentine wants "a change of scenery".
The report originated from renowned Italian website TuttoMercatoWeb.com, who claimed that the Southampton boss would depart the club at the end of the season, against the wishes of Executive Chairman Nicola Cortese.
In today's pre-match press conference ahead of Southampton's hosting of West Bromwich Albion in Saturday's Premier League match, the former Argentina international appeared to be taken aback by the suggestion.
Pochettino, who still conducts media appointments through an interpreter, laughed and said:
"There's pretty much a new piece of news every single minute. They're usually contradictory from one hour to the next. What can I say about it? If we paid attention to every single report from Italy, we would go mad."
After laughing off the initial suggestion, Pochettino confirmed that he is not unhappy at Southampton, and he does not understand the basis of the report, saying:
“They have no foundation. I am happy here, of course.”
However, when asked, he confirmed that there had been no discussion of a new contract for the forty-one year old, who joined Southampton in January 2013, with the club 15th in the Premier League table.
At the end of the current campaign, Pochettino will have just one year remaining on his current deal.
There had been suggestions that Pochettino was a target for Tottenham Hotspur following the departure of Andre Villas-Boas, and it's likely that Southampton's impressive start to the season and imposing style of play will attract more potential suitors.
"There has been no discussion of a new contract," Pochettino said.
"The moment that does happen, I will make my decision."
Southampton will face West Bromwich Albion at St. Mary's this weekend, having won just one of their last nine league games.
image: © joncandy