Wenger wants 'detailed report' on next Vieira, do Arsenal really need him?

Emirates Stadium 2

Reports in Portugal are emerging that Arsenal boss is keen on a scouting report on Sporting Lisbon's breakout star.

Portuguese newspaper Record has an article profiled on their front-page this morning indicating that Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is eager to learn more about 21-year-old midfielder William Carvalho, who has come of age at Sporting Lisbon this season, having enjoyed a successful loan period in the Belgian Pro League for Cercle Brugge last year.

Considering his age, Carvalho is certainly one for the future… a player with a tremendous upside and will no doubt have Gunners fans interested as he has long been dubbed the 'next Patrick Vieira' due to his physical strength, his combative play, passing nous and composure on the ball.

However, there is complication over his ownership: Sporting own 60% of the player, while BES own the remaining 40%. He is also under contract for another four and a half years, with a buyout clause of £37.5m.

Considering the organisational skills of Mathieu Flamini combined with his ability to retrieve possession, the box-to-box prowess of Aaron Ramsey and the calm presence of Mikel Arteta, an expensive pursuit of Carvalho, also wanted by Manchester United who have apparently scouted the player six times this season already, may be redundant, particularly when the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Theo Walcott has added to Wenger's injury anguish after rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament, preventing his participation in the first team for the rest of the season.

Nicklas Bendtner also has no known return date following a knock to his foot, summer recruit Yaya Sanogo is out with a back complaint, Olivier Giroud is ill, leaving Lukas Podolski - himself only just returned from a spell in the physio room - as Arsenal's sole forward capable of leading the line.

Any funds available in the winter market must be reserved for a striking recruit, especially as rumoured target Dimitar Berbatov is not cup-tied in Europe and would presumably be interested in a return to an elite-level club.

Only once the mandatory requirement recruits have been acquired should the luxury signings be made…

image: © lodekka

Register for ARSENAL team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch