Transfer Clock: 7 days down, 24 until the transfer window re-opens. Here's our update of the big news of the past 24 hours...
1) Manchester United have been linked with five transfers in the past 24 hours, four of which are midfielders. Most exciting is Roma's Miralem Pjanic after reports in Bosnia touted the club with a bid. Roma themselves are on the verge of signing midfielder Radja Naingolan from Cagliari.
Spanish newspaper AS have stated the club is considering Atletico Madrid's Raul Garcia who has nine goals in nine La Liga starts, and Athletic Bilbao ace Benat.
It is also being reported on the continent that United sent scouts to watch Bilbao's Ander Herrera, along with Real Sociedad defender Inigo Martinez and winger Antoine Griezmann.
Portuguese newspaper A Bola link United with a move for midfielder Joao Moutinho, who signed for AS Monaco from Porto just last summer.
David Moyes has denied however that a deal to sign Fabio Coentrao is done, and did not comment on whether it was a possibility.
2) Chelsea have approved a loan for young defender Kenneth Omeruo to Middlesbrough. The Nigerian defender impressed in Holland last season and it was hoped he could play a part in the first team this season but injuries have prevented that. The centre-back will play under boss Aitor Karanka, who was Jose Mourinho's assistant at Real Madrid. The Championship club have however failed in an attempt to sign Michael Essien.
3) Newcastle United target Remy Cabella has told French radio station RMC he is 100% committed to staying with Montpellier until he is told otherwise. He said: "For the moment, in my head, I'm 100% Montpellier. If a proposal comes, it is the two clubs to discuss and I will think in terms of that. I am not aware of what is happening. I am dedicated on the field, this is the most important. Newcastle?
"I realise that at some point I must leave. I think I'm capable. England interests me, there are good clubs out there. If Montpellier reaches an agreement with an English club that suits me I'll be happy."
Montpellier president Louis Nicollin has always maintained he can leave, but is unwilling to sell in January.
4) Nemanja Vidic is set to leave Manchester United in the summer, it is being widely reported. The centre-back's agent confirmed today a renewal of his deal which expires in June is unlikely. He said, as reported in The Mail: "‘At the moment, I would rule out an extension with Manchester United. Vidic, given his contract situation, has several teams looking at him." It is six seasons since the Serbian signed at the club, and he has appeared in three Champions League finals, winning one. The departure would create a big hole at centre-back with Rio Ferdinand also having an expiring contract and his form doing little to suggest he deserves a new one.
5) Arsenal have made their move to sign Alvaro Morata, report The Mirror. The Real Madrid striker was linked with the Gunners in a loan deal at the beginning of last month, but Arsene Wenger denied interest. The situation has since changed, with Theo Walcott out injured and also Nicklas Bendtner. Morata also failed to seize his chance in cup games for Los Merengues at the end of December. The paper report that Arsenal again want a loan for the Spanish under-21 striker, while The Telegraph also report the developments.
image: © carlos rm