Two days down, 29 to go until the Transfer Window closes. Here's our midnight update of the five stories you need to know...
1) ESPN report that Manchester United want to sign Juan Mata from Chelsea, and are monitoring developments. Chelsea are however said to want to only sell to a La Liga or Ligue 1 club. ESPN write that 'Old Trafford sources maintain they may be able to force the situation given Mata's unhappiness.' Mourinho stated yesterday that 'the door is open', if the Spaniard wants to leave. The wildcard in this scenario is the future of Wayne Rooney, wanted by Chelsea, who has 18 months left on his contract, with The Mail tonight reporting there is growing concern at his stalling over a new deal - however any spectacular swap deal would surely not be an option mid-season.
2) Arsenal are preparing a huge offer for Diego Costa, report The Star. Costa has a £32 million release clause in his contract, but would be ineligible for Champions League football. This did not however stop Wenger signing Nacho Monreal last January. Atletico Madrid will likely do all they can to persuade the Spaniard to stay at the club. Former Gunner Martin Keown earlier in the day urged the club to drop interest in Dimitar Berbatov and move for Costa instead.
3) Newcastle are making their move for Montpellier playmaker Remy Cabella, report The Telegraph. The paper report the French side will demand £14 million, adding the move could cause doubt over the future of Hatem Ben Arfa. Cabella can play on either wing, and likely more pressingly his arrival would spell the end for Gabriel Obertan. 23-year-old Cabella has been linked to Manchester United and Arsenal in recent months.
4) Chelsea have immediately loaned expected new addition Bertrand Traore to Vitesse Arnhem in Holland. The Burkina Faso international becomes the sixth player to join the Eredivisie title challengers from the Blues. Sam Hutchinson and Gael Kakuta have been recalled from Vitesse, but it is yet unclear what their immediate future holds. Traore played for Chelsea in pre-season, registered as a trialist and impressed, getting on the scoresheet. His time at Vitesse playing competitive football will give the club indication as to whether he can play a part in the first team next season.
5) Everton defender John Heitinga has turned down a move to West Ham, stating he did not feel it was right for him. In a statement on the website of his agents, he said that he would continue to listen to offers. Newcastle were also linked to him but they have denied interest. Serie A clubs have previously been linked to the Dutchman, who Everton are happy to let leave.
image: © Wshjackson