All the latest news and views from Stamford Bridge.
The Fredy Guarin to Chelsea transfer speculation continues this week as the Colombian has been quoted in the press of his homeland, talking-up the capability of his prospective future manager, Jose Mourinho. That is, if rumour turns in to fact and the Internazionale midfielder does, indeed, depart Milan in order to join the West London club.
'Jose Mourinho? He is simply number one,' the Daily Mail report Guarin to have said.
A player who is arguably Mourinho's number one, Samuel Eto'o (because the Cameroonian was a part of the Portuguese's glorious Treble-winning team of 2009/10), has confessed that he deserved an early bath during the club's recent triumph over Liverpool.
On the encounter at the weekend, Eto'o told The Sun: 'Maybe I should have been sent off. But I'm not the referee.
'Everyone is entitled to their opinion but we must respect the decisions from the officials. During the match in the first moments, the game was passionate on both sides, but people know I'm not violent.
'I was really sad to see Jordan [Henderson] on the floor - I want to take this opportunity to say sorry.'
And finally, the Blues travel to Southampton for their New Year's Day clash but will do so without Frank Lampard (muscular injury, undisclosed), Branislav Ivanovic (knee) and David Luiz (suspended). Ramires returns following a one-game ban.
- Southampton have only won one of their last nine Premier League matches against Chelsea (D3 L5), but that was in this fixture last season.
- Chelsea are likely to be missing Frank Lampard, who has scored four goals in his last five Premier League starts against Southampton.
- Saints only had one shot on target in the reverse fixture last month (the Rodriguez goal after 13 seconds).
- 37% of the goals Chelsea have conceded this season have come from set-pieces, the highest proportion in the Premier League (excluding penalties).
- Jose Mourinho has made more substitutions than any other Premier League manager this season (57).
- Chelsea have conceded 799 Premier League goals.
- No Chelsea striker has scored a Premier League away goal since December 2012.
image: © Jason Bagley