Transfer Clock: 22 days down, nine to go until the transfer window opens. Here are the top five stories from the past 24 hours...
1) Arsenal are likely to be blocked from signing Luis Suarez next summer even if Liverpool miss out on the Champions League. The Express report a release clause exists in the striker's new contract if Liverpool miss out on the top four, but there is a condition: "It’s understood that the compromise is that he wouldn’t be allowed to join another Premier League side – it would have to be to a club on the continent." Liverpool currently lead the league table and will hope it does not come to that, but it appears now certain Arsenal's hopes of signing Suarez are over.
2) Real Madrid hope to sign Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney for just £20 million next summer. The Sun report Florentino Perez has his sights on the striker who has just 18 months left on his current contract. Real Madrid hope that if a deal remains unsigned, United can be tempted into selling to the Spanish side rather than risk Rooney walking away a year later to join Premier League rivals Chelsea on a free transfer.
3) The Mirror report Arsenal are to lose out on striker Antonio Sanabria to Roma. The Paraguayan striker has made clear his intention to leave Barcelona, and last week the teenager's agent confirmed talks with the Gunners. Roma's interest is not new however, and there are no official developments. Despite the negative headline in the paper, Arsenal fans shouldn't give up on this one yet as there are likely plenty of twists still to come.
4) Sunderland are interested in signing former Chelsea and Liverpool midfielder Raul Meireles according to reports in Turkey. Meireles plays for Fenerbahce and is thought to be happy at the club, but Gus Poyet is keen to add experience to his midfield as the Black Cats seek to avoid relegation. Meireles would be an excellent addition but he may take some convincing to join up.
5) Chelsea are poised to win the race for Southampton's Luke Shaw next summer the People report, providing they offer him guarantees over a starting place. The paper add that Chelsea could move in January, but realistically next summer is more likely when Ashley Cole will probably be moved on. There is no mention of a fee Southampton would be after, although Shaw could help push through a move having previously admitted he is a Chelsea fan.
image: © jikatu