Arsenal have been widely linked with a move for the talented Hamburg midfielder.
Arsenal have been linked with a swoop for Hamburg midfielder Hakan Calhanoglu as Arsene Wenger looks to sure up his attacking options over the second half of the season.
Although Wenger has now proven that he will spend big on high profile players, one of his best skills as a manager is being able to spot underrated talent before turning players into world class superstars.
Calhanoglu would definitely be a signing for the future though it could be a difficult transfer for the Gunners to pull off, as Hamburg want the teenager to commit himself to the German side until the summer of 2018.
Calhanoglu has confirmed that he would be interested in moving to England in the future but a fee for him is hard to gauge as Hamburg are keeping their cards very close to their chest.
Here are five facts about him.
1) He’s 19-years-old, five feet and ten inches tall and his best position is at the top of a midfield, in behind a main striker.
2) His current deal with Hamburg expires in the summer of 2016, which means Arsenal would be forced to pay a potentially hefty fee to buy out the remainder of his contract.
3) He’s already represented Turkey at six different levels of international football with his best spell for the under-19 side between 2011 and 2013 where he scored five goals in 15 appearances.
4) He signed his four-year deal with Hamburg in 2012 from Karlsruher SC before he was immediately loaned back scoring 14 goals in 31 appearances for the second division Bundesliga side last season.
5) He’s been widely described as the ‘next Mesut Ozil’ with several sources regularly using the phrase in relation to his potential.