Transfer Clock: 17 days down, 14 to go until the Transfer Window opens. Here's our midnight news update of the big five stories you need to know from the past 24 hours.
1) A Marco Reus transfer to Manchester United could be 'on', report The Mail. They cite the poor domestic form of Borussia Dortmund as a temptation for Reus to leave, with Jurgen Klopp's side looking out of the title race already and in a battle even to finish second. The paper discusses Klopp's first major crisis at the club, with the media in Germany circling as his team unravel. "If he doesn’t re-establish his authority and begin closing the gap on Bayern, he will run the risk of losing Reus and seeing another major figure leave."
Klopp saw Mario Gotze move last summer and is braced for Roberto Lewandowski leaving this summer for rivals Bayern. Manchester United scouted Reus last month, who has always insisted publicly he is happy at Dortmund - but has a €33 million release clause in his contract. To counter the report, Dortmund are looking good in the Champions League and United's league form is even more concerning, sitting in eighth in the Premier League, and it certainly won't be as simple to convince him to leave as the paper claim.
2) The Sun have linked Romanian wonderkid Dorin Rotariu to Manchester United from Dinamo Bucharest. The 18-year-old is a left winger who is already dazzling for the first team, scoring six goals and providing four assists in 18 games with season. It isn't hard to believe United want to shake up their wide options, with Ashley Young and Nani regularly linked with exiting the club, and could still do so this January.
3) There could be an unwelcome and shock approach at Chelsea this January or next summer as big spending French champions are reported to be considering bidding for Eden Hazard. The £32 million Belgian has been in sensational form of late, and France Football claim PSG are willing to offer more than the amount Chelsea paid Lille to try to tempt him away. PSG have also been linked with bidding for Chelsea's Juan Mata previously, while the same report states they want to sign Paul Pogba and Raphael Varane.
4) Swansea City and Southampton are both battling to sign Juventus forward Fabio Quagliarella report Talksport. The former Italian international has fallen out of favour for club and country, and the 30-year-old has started just three Serie A games all season. Quagliarella is best remembered for a stunning chip scored against Paraguay back at the 2010 World Cup. The striker also has offers from outside the Premier League, but both sides can promise him a competitive push for a European place next season.
5) Everton are looking at signing a new left-back report The Daily Record, with Dundee United's Andrew Robertson linked. The 19-year-old is valued at around £1 million and it is reported that Everton have sent scouts to watch him in action. Such a move would indicate Roberto Martinez is preparing for life without Leighton Baines, who has been regularly linked with a move to Manchester United. Bryan Oviedo's recent form in Baines' injury absence has perhaps given Martinez a pointer he does not need to rely on the England international, and Robertson could become the back-up for the Costa Rican.
image: © Ben Sutherland