15 days down, 16 to go until the Transfer Window re-opens. Here is our daily midnight update of the five big stories from the past 24 hours.
1) Manchester United want to move for PSG's Blaise Matuidi in January, write The Express. Matuidi's contract expires in the summer, meaning he could be available for a cut-price £7 million. Just at the beginning of the month we at HITC identified Matuidi as an ideal signing for David Moyes, due to his availability, experience, and strength in midfielder. Matuidi, 26, is a regular in PSG's first team, and tackling and passing are among his key attributes. PSG are still thought to be in talks with him over a new deal however so United may end up missing out on the French international.
2) West Ham want to re-ignite a failed bid to sign Rickie Lambert in January according to The Mirror. They were knocked back in the summer, and Lambert's market value will only have increased since then due to his England exploits. After being stung for £15 million on Andy Carroll, we simply can't see the Hammers being hung out to dry for a 32-year-old, and will surely end up turning their attentions elsewhere.
3) Steven Taylor could be a possible departure from Newcastle United this January. The centre-back has barely featured this season due to injury, but has not been selected since returning to fitness a month ago. His agent told SkySports: "Joe Kinnear has promised Steven a new deal in January and he could be made available for loan if he is not going to be playing for Newcastle." It was just earlier this year in March that Taylor was called up into the England squad, and so he will see a loan switch as a last ditch shot at winning a place in the World Cup squad.
4) Manchester United are going to risk the further wrath of Everton by bidding for Ross Barkley, report The Star. David Moyes angered his former club by unsettling Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines in the summer, and at one stage it was reported United even offered Everton an official apology in efforts to improve relations. Everton are unlikely to take kindly to a bid for Barkley who has been in sensational form this season. at present Everton are attempting to negotiate Barkley a new improve deal to make the 20-year-old one of the best paid players at the club.
5) Cardiff City want three January signings to bolster their Premier League campaign, write The Telegraph. Manager Malky Mackay told SkySports: "I would look to strengthen all three departments in terms of a defender, a midfielder and an attacking player." Mackay added that he has lists of players for different positions, for loan and permanent transfers, and is determined to see his side kick on from their current 15th place.
image: © joncandy