Manchester United latest: Including Young criticism and Koke comments

Young And Scholes Free Kick

News, views and rumours relating to Manchester United in the past 24 hours.

In team news, following the last games of the Champions League group stages being played last night on Wednesday, the confirmed round of 16 to go through include United, Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal.

The draw for the next round of 16 will be held in Nyon, Switzerland next Monday and United will face one of AC Milan, Galatasaray, Olympiacos, Schalke, and Zenit.

Red Devils fullback Rafael insists United can take on anyone no matter who they draw in the next round of the Champions League.

"I can remember last season when we also won the group and yet we played Real Madrid. I hope something like that doesn't happen again but we can take anyone,” said the Brazilian.

United winger Ashley Young is ‘unapologetic’ after the latest diving row involving the Englishman.

“It (diving) has been talked about (with Moyes), yes,” Young said.

“It’s been talked about obviously, by the previous manager and the current manager, but that’s in house. I’m not going to comment on what’s been said.”

United legend and former captain Roy Keane ‘blasted’ Ashley Young as ‘ridiculous’ and ‘not good enough’ following his performance in the Champions League on Tuesday night.

‘They (United) had a couple of good chances through Ashley Young towards the end of the first half. He should certainly hit the target. I think it sums up his time at Man United, just not good enough,” said the Irishman.

In transfer news, United target Atletico Madrid midfielder Koke is ‘not phased’ by David Moyes’ visit to the Spanish capital to see the 21-year-old Spain international in action last week as speculation continues over his future.

“I did not know anything about it,” Koke told Canal Plus. “Neither does it bother me. I signed a new contract last summer.”

Atletico Madrid have incidentally been linked with a potential replacement for Koke in Hoffenheim starlet the Brazilian midfielder Roberto Firmino increasingly speculation the club are resigned to letting Koke leave in January.

Meanwhile, United’s own Brazilian midfielder Anderson is linked with a move to Fulham following the arrival of former United coach Rene Meulensteen who took charge at Craven Cottage earlier this month following the dismissal of Martin Jol.

The Mirror claims Wayne Rooney’s failed summer switch to Chelsea could be ‘back on’ in the New Year as the England striker still has yet to agree to the terms of a new contract with the champions.

Finally, United remain linked with Everton stars Ross Barkley and Leighton Baines who Everton boss Roberto Martinez may be powerless to stop leaving Goodison Park if they do not agree new deals in the coming year.

image: © vagueonthehow

Register for MANCHESTER UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch