8 days down, 23 to go until the Transfer Window opens; Here is our midnight run through of the top five transfer stories from the past 24 hours...
1) Manchester United have been linked with returning for midfielder Kevin Strootman. The Dutchman was touted as being similar to Roy Keane in style during his time at PSV last season and the club were linked with him regularly but did not pursue it once David Moyes took over. He then signed for Roma for £17 million where he has enjoyed an outstanding season so far. The Mirror now report United are considering trying to rectify their error and plan to bid £30 million for him in January to tempt the table-topping Italians into making a quick profit. Strootman would be a fantastic signing for the club, but convincing him and Roma to part ways just a few months into a fantastic partnership is going to be a big long shot, however the Serie A side did prove in the summer they are willing sellers for the right price, allowing Lamela, Osvaldo and Marquinhos all to depart for big offers.
2) Yohan Cabaye has revealed he nearly signed for Aston Villa. In an interview with the French media, he said Gerard Houllier led talks to bring him to Villa Park, before Newcastle expressed an interest and convinced him to join. There is perhaps more worrying news for Newcastle fans about their weekend matchwinner, with the midfielder also indicating he would not mind a move to PSG, stating, 'who would not want a move to PSG today?'. He went onto add however that there has been no approach from the French champions.
3) Everton are planning to ditch striker Nikica Jelavic two years after signing him, in the upcoming transfer window. The Croatian has not scored this season and is a bit-part player from the bench. West Ham have previously been linked. The Mirror write that Roberto Martinez wants much-hyped Icelandic striker Alfred Finnbogason instead, and has sent scouts to watch him in action. They believe he could cost as little as £2 million from Heerenveen.
4) Manchester City have been credited with a sensational £40 million bid for goalkeeper Bayern Munich, by The Express. However we fully expect any move to be fruitless as they search for a Joe Hart alternative, because there is no need for Bayern to sell at any price. Neuer is considered the world's best goalkeeper and is happy in his homeland, and is in line to face City in midweek.
5) There is more depressing news for Manchester United fans; Brazilian sensation Bruno Gomes has clinched a move to Internacional. The record-breaking teenager bagged seven goals in game last season, and even met Wayne Rooney and Sir Alex Ferguson on a visit to Old Trafford, after a link-up between his side Desportivo Brasil and the Red Devils. However Ferguson's retirement seemingly saw United's interest fade, and the youngster has had little choice but to move on, confirming the switch on his Twitter feed, before retweeting several comments from United fans upset at their club's decision.
image: © stephendgardner