Five reasons why Arsenal should sign him…and one why it would be huge gamble and possibly a waste of money.
After a mixed start to the season Julian Draxler has continued to improve his performance and is now at the top of his game again. Finally Arsenal’s manager Arsene Wenger could scout the player he really likes.
Norwegian journalist Jan Aage Fjortoft made the news by saying, or tweeting, “Arsenal are big favourite to get Schalke’s Wonderkid Julian Draxler.” He continued that Wenger talks to the player often.
Here are some reasons why it would be a great transfer for Arsenal
1) In his last seven games with Schalke Julian Draxler recorded one goal and three assists.
2) He was named man of the match three times in these seven games.
3) Draxler was also named with European player of the month recording the highest rating by average – higher than Gareth Bale’s or Paul Pogba’s.
4) The young gun from Bundesliga’s Schalke displayed ihs dribbling skills in November as well. He ran “past an opponent an average of 7.8 times per game last month, with only Franck Ribéry (10.5) doing so more of every player in Europe’s top 5 leagues.”
5) Since being a regular starter at Schalke in 2011 Draxler has scored 22 goals and made 24 assists.
But the highly praised German wunderkind had also seen some not so bright spots – last season and this season. In this August, September and October he needed 367 minute to score one goal or much worse 551.5 minutes for one assist. That is not a good stat for a attacking midfielder to say the least.
Draxler is making great strides right now. However only his recent Bundesliga performances are worth mentioning.
That helps reveal why he is as yet unable to establish himself in the international set up as starter.
Did he play so badly because of his team, which had some lapses too? But this wouldn’t help his resume either. Maybe Draxler only performed well when his team did as well. Is he not able to turn around a game like other expensive players?
Here is the reason why Arsenal shouldn’t make the move: In my mind there are too many questions surrounding the 20-year-old. Too much money is at stake to make a gamble. Or do you disagree?
images: © markusunger