Chelsea latest: Stalwart defender returns, Mourinho quashes striker bid, more

Chelsea Stand

All the latest news from Stamford Bridge.

Romelu Lukaku was the talk of the recent press conference with Blues manager Jose Mourinho. The manager left in no uncertain terms his confidence on his decision to send out the phenomenal Belgian out on loan.

Despite recently being acclaimed with the most prolific goalscorer in Premier League history title, Lukaku has definitely done something to rub the Chelsea manager up the wrong way. Speaking to the BBC in a recent interview, the Belgian striker revealed he hasn’t even spoke to the Portuguese manager in two months.

Mourinho struggled to hold his tongue when quizzed about the 20-year-old and unleashed a war of words on the player still contracted to the club.

‘’Romelu likes to speak’’ he said. ‘’he’s a young boy who likes to speak. But the only thing he didn’t say is why he went to Everton on loan. That’s the only thing he never says. And my last contact with him was to tell him exactly that.

‘’Why do you never say why you are not here? So it’s something he should [talk about] because he likes to speak. It’s something he should say, the reason why he’s not with Chelsea and is in Everton’’

A very interesting point made, and perhaps this isn’t the last of it – I would bet on hearing from the striker in the next couple of days.

--

The Chelsea manager also commented on recent transfer speculation, leaving some Chelsea supporters extremely disappointed.

The excitement around supporters on the news of a possible transfer deal for Porto striker was the current buzz around the internet, however, Mourinho was quick to dampen the spirits of supporters and confirmed the club will not be in for a striker in January.

‘’it’s not true what I read a couple of days ago, that the agent [of Martinez] was in London meeting with me or with Chelsea directors. It’s not true at all.

‘’In the January market we’re not going to buy any striker, so we will go through to the end of the season with Fernando, Samuel and Demba. Nobody goes in. Nobody goes out.’’

He also quashed rumours that Fabio Coentrao is on his rader caliming he doesn’t want Portuguese players at Chelsea, and doesn’t need them.

--

Ashley Cole received a much needed confidence boost from his manager, who explained the player will get a chance to play.

‘’His attitude has always been phenomenal. He has the same attitude that he had when he trained with me for the first time.

‘’He went through a difficult period, but Azpilicueta is playing fantastic, and that is the main point’’

Samuel Eto’o has been ruled out for their game at Southampton on Sunday with the injury he suffered in Tuesday’s defeat to Basel. Fernando Torres is likely to be the man to replace him in the starting 11, and will be desperate to make his mark to cement his place back in the side.

And finally, David Luiz remains on the treatment table with a knee injury and will miss the game, despite returning to training earlier in the week.

images: © Jason Bagley, © bensutherland

Register for CHELSEA team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch