Rio Ferdinand tweeted about his experience.
1) Sidney Sam is injured, as we reported earlier, and will miss the Champions League match tonight. The 25-year-old German international winger recorded 11 goals and seven assists this season. His absence will be hard to compensate. Hyypia will most likely move midfielder Gonzalo Castro to Sidney’s position.
2) Manchester United won the first match 4-2 easily, which reflect the all time record between the two teams. Bayer Leverkusen have never won a games against Manchester. However they did knock them out of the Champions League in 2002 courtesy of away goals. 5 matches, two defeats, three draws.
3) Although Bayer Leverkusen is in second place in Bundesliga and above average in a lot of stats, one thing that doesn’t fit the bill is their low ball possession in a game: 45%. Something United could capitalise from.
4) The most obvious stat that last year’s Premier League winner could rely on is that they haven lost a game in the last 10 matches.
5) Hyypia’s team is well respected in the Bundesliga, because of their recent success going head-to-head with top teams like Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund. But the team from West of Germany is still very young and inexperienced. They might feel more as a fan then as a opponent facing Manchester United. Leverkusen's players won’t line-up to get autographs from Wayne Rooney or Ryan Giggs but they could get intimidated by their opponents resume. Comparing the estimated market value of both teams shows that United has a huge celebrity bonus. £355m vs. £120m of Leverkusen.
image: © dullhunk