Kelechi Iheanacho has been a regular in these pages in recent weeks.
First he starred for Nigeria in the under-17 World Cup, scoring six goals and providing seven assists as his side ultimately lifted the trophy.
Unsurprisingly, the forward was then linked with a whole host of clubs both in England and elsewhere.
For a time, it appeared FC Porto was his inevitable destination. But those reports soon got swallowed by stories linking him with the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea.
Then there were the claims of an alleged fight between his under-17 coach and the man Iheanacho had reportedly chosen to represent him.
And finally there was the report of the player’s apparent disappearance, after his father told a radio station he had been unable to contact his son for three days.
In short, it has been a busy few weeks for the 17-year-old, at least in print.
But it appears Iheanacho’s future may soon be resolved, with the latest claims of his father suggesting a move to England could be close…at least if he has his way.
The Nigerian Tribune has published a story on Iheanacho’s father claiming Manchester City is his preferred choice, but only after seemingly confusing them with their fierce rivals.
Speaking on Super Sport’s ‘Monday Night Football’, James Iheanacho is reported to have said, “As I am talking to you, I have chosen in my mind (that) Kelechi is going to Manchester United.”
He quickly corrected himself, adding, “I have told you that he is going to Manchester City.”
There is a history in football of family members saying one thing only for players to do something different – just ask Edinson Cavani – but City were previously reported as having made the teenager the best offer, so there could be substance in the latest reports.
One thing is for sure; you can expect another Iheanacho story, probably with yet more twists, in a day or two.
image: © alfonso jimenez