The appointment comes after the earlier announcement that Jon Moynihan, currently Executive Chairman of PA, would be retiring at the end of the year. Simultaneously, the Board had commenced a series of changes to refresh its membership, other long-serving members having expressed their wish to retire along with the Chairman. Marcus’ appointment therefore concludes a series of changes to PA’s Board that have been taking place over the year, preparing PA for its next phase of development:
· Victor Halberstadt, having served on the Board for fourteen years, and having agreed to stay on the Board beyond his previously-planned retirement date in order to oversee these changes as head of PA’s Succession Committee, will now be retiring at the end of the year
· Martin Stapleton, having served on the Board for seven years in both an Executive and Non-Executive capacity, has announced that he will retire from the Board at the end of the year, thus completing the separation of Ipex, PA’s former Venture Capital arm, from PA. Martin will remain as Chief Executive of the fully independent Ipex which will continue to manage, as part of its portfolio, the PA venture Procserve Limited
· Lady (Barbara) Judge has recently announced that she will be retiring from the Board at the end of the year, after eight years of service. Lady Judge has been lessening her various Board commitments in order to support her husband, Sir Paul Judge, who assumes the post of Aldermanic Sheriff of the City of London for 2013-14
Moynihan, retiring Chairman, commented: 'The refreshing of PA’s Board starts our company on a new epoch in its on-going story. Our CEO, Alan Middleton, has shown the way forward over the past six years; we anticipate the new team writing another great chapter in the company’s history. I would like to thank all the retiring Board members for seeing PA through a period of success and consolidation of PA’s position as the leading management, science, innovation and technology consulting firm in the world'.
Alan Middleton, CEO of PA, commented: 'On behalf of the Board and everyone at PA, I would like to thank Jon for his drive, leadership and determination over the last two decades. During his time at PA, Jon has transformed the firm and helped secure its enviable reputation across government and business worldwide. In particular, Jon’s passion for new technology has allowed the firm to develop the technology and innovation capability that gives it a unique place in the management consulting industry. In this, our 70th year, PA is sound, prosperous and growing. We look forward to welcoming Marcus and Esther and working with the Board to build on the firm’s success'.
Marcus Agius commented: 'I am delighted to be joining PA and salute Jon Moynihan for the role he has played in building it into such an outstanding business. PA has a distinguished history: it also has a great future in prospect given the wealth of talent in its executive ranks. I much look forward to working with my new colleagues to develop PA’s forward trajectory'.
Biographies of PA’s Non-Executive Board members as of 1 January 2014:
· Marcus Agius was Chairman of Barclays for six years until October 2012. He was also the first Non-Executive Director to be appointed to the BBC’s Executive Board acting as its Senior Independent Director until November 2012. Before then, Marcus was Deputy Chairman of Lazard Ltd, and Chairman of Lazard in London. He also served as a Non-Executive Director of BAA plc, becoming its Chairman in 2002.
· Esther Dyson is the founder of the Health Initiative Coordinating Council (‘HICCup’), a startup dedicated to fostering and testing community health programmes. She is an independent investor in space, healthcare and IT start-ups and technologies; current investments include Evernote, Omada Health and Square. Esther has been patron of the Commercial Spaceflight Federation since 2008. She is a Non-Executive Director of 23andMe, Eventful, Meetup, Voxiva, XCOR Aerospace, WPP Group and Yandex. She sits on the Board of the Sunlight Foundation, and was founding Chairman of ICANN. She is an influential commentator on the commercial and social implications of the internet.
· Michael Queen has been a Non-Executive Director of PA Consulting Group since December 2012 and is Chairman of its Audit, and a member of its Succession and Compensation Committees. During his career, he was previously Chief Executive of 3i Group plc, a member of the Prime Minister’s Business Advisory Group, and Chairman of the BVCA. He is currently a Director of Coller Capital; a member of the advisory Board of the Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business; President of The Surrey 100, a business angel group attached to the University of Surrey.
· Richard Wilson has been a Non-Executive Director of PA Consulting Group since June 2013 and is a member of its Audit, Succession and Compensation Committees. Richard was at Apax Partners for 17 years, rising to run its Tech & Telecom practice worldwide, and serving on its Investment, Exit and Portfolio Review Committees. Richard has served on the Boards of many companies, including Inmarsat plc, Autonomy Corporation plc and TDC A/S; was Chairman of the European Private Equity and Venture Capital Association; and has taught at INSEAD.