The north London club have been heavily linked with a move for the Swiss central defender, but what do we know about him?
One of the names currently doing the rounds is Fabian Schar, with the defender reportedly catching the eye of Arsene Wenger.
With Borussia Dortmund and Napoli also keeping tabs on Schar, what do we know about him?
- Schar is a 21-year-old Swiss central defender, who currently plays for FC Basel. He is right-footed and has a blend of physical abilities and confidence on the ball.
- He started his career at home-town club FC Wil, making over 50 first-team appearances in three years.
- Schar was snapped up by Basel in July 2012, signing a three-year contract, with the option of an additional 12 months.
- The centre-half started 21 games for Basel last term, and played his part in helping the St. Jakob-Park outfit to be crowned as Swiss champions. He has started 11 games for Basel this term.
- Schar has plenty of European experience, having played in both the Champions League and Europa League. He has faced Chelsea and Tottenham in recent times.
- The defender has progressed through his nation’s youth ranks, representing Switzerland at under-20 and under-21 level. He was part of the Switzerland team for the London Olympics last summer.
- Schar has progressed through to the Swiss national team, and is expected to play a considerable role in the country’s World Cup campaign next summer.
- Despite being a defender, Schar has a lofty reputation of getting goals from the back. He scored nine goals in 52 appearances for FC Wil, has netted six times for Basel in and scored three times in his first three games for Switzerland.
- It is believed that Schar could be available for around the £5 million mark, with a host of European clubs scrambling for his signature.