Reports in Portugal suggest that Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas may look at his home country's top division for new talent in the January transfer window, but what's surprising is that he may be looking to sign an Englishman.
Here are some facts about 19-year-old Sporting Lisbon defender Eric Dier, a name you may be hearing more regularly in the coming months and years.
1) Born in Cheltenham, Dier moved to Portugal at the age of ten when his mother was offered a job. Whilst at school, his P.E teacher spoke to Sporting officials who signed him for the club.
2) He lived at the club's academy when his parents moved back to England in 2010 and signed a professional contract in April that year. Lisbon beat Arsenal, Manchester United and Spurs to his signature.
3) Dier joined Everton in January 2011 on a six-month loan but failed to make an appearance for the club.
4) Made his Sporting Lisbon debut in a 1-0 win against Braga in November 2012 and scored his first goal against Moreirense in a 2-2 draw later that month. The goal can be seen below.
5) He made his England Under-21 against Scotland in a 6-0 win which was managed by senior England manager Roy Hodgson.
image: © goulao