Reports in Germany on Friday claimed Schalke had received a bid of €15million from Chelsea for Max Meyer.
Those reports were then picked up by the English media yesterday, with the stories claiming Chelsea had lodged the bid before their Champions League match against the German side last week.
How the offer went down is unknown, but considering Meyer’s release-clause is €18million, the report suggests Jose Mourinho either was not aware of it (which is unlikely) or he is attempting to save a few of his boss’s pennies. Then again, perhaps the report is not as true as the German press would have you believe.
German newspaper WAZ quizzed Meyer following his side’s 3-1 victory at home to Werder Bremen yesterday, and the 18-year-old said the following:
“I’m delighted that I’m so popular but I have only seen it in the newspaper. But my advisor is responsible.
“I feel very comfortable at Schalke. I trust the coach and the board. My contract runs until 2017. The talks are very good and I hope that an agreement is reached, I think this year.”
That seems a pretty clear statement of intent. At least in Meyer’s eyes, he is going nowhere.
And reinforcing that belief, Schalke’s general manager Horst Heldt said, “The fact that Chelsea is interested, I know it is not a formal offer.
“I am confident Max will extend (his contract). We are in good conversations. He still has a contract until 2017. He has had tremendous development and therefore his performances do not fit his (current) contract.”
So despite the reports claiming the Blues had lodged a bid, it appears Meyer will remain at Schalke for some time yet. But don’t expect the rumours to stop.
image: © achimh