The 18-year-old German has been one of the most exciting talents in the Bundesliga this season and someone several top sides appear to be keeping a close eye on.
He’s featured prominently in the Bundesliga for FC Schalke, grabbing three goals and an assist from his appearances so far as well as five appearances across Champions League qualifying and the group stage proper.
It’s no surprise that Chelsea and Liverpool are reported as two of the clubs interested in him because they both have superb youth academy setups.
Chelsea’s strength in youth has been proven through their UEFA Youth League performances this season while Brendan Rodgers has shown all young players at Liverpool, they will get as first team chance if they play well in the development squad.
Meyer’s current deal doesn’t expire until the summer of 2017, which means if he does become available then there could be an almighty scramble and bidding war to sign him.
Here’s a little more about the Schalke star.
1) The teenager can play two different positions across Schalke’s midfield; a central midfield role or an attacking midfield role.
2) He’s already played for Germany at five different levels of international football; u-15, u-16, u-17, u-18 and u-19.
3) He played for three different youth teams before linking up with Schalke; FC Sardegna Oberhausen, Rot-Weiss Oberhausen and MSV Duisburg.
4) He graduated into the Schalke senior side after spending 2009-2013 in their youth team. He made two appearances for the Schalke B team, scoring two goals before making his senior debut; 13 appearances and three goals so far.
5) His record for the Schalke under-19 team in the 2012/13 season was fantastic; 15 matches, 11 goals and 11 assists.
image: © achimh