Former Manchester United captain Roy Keane pleaded ahead of last night's Champions League tie for fans to give Marouane Fellaini time to develop into a great player for the club.
His timing was not great, with the Belgian sent off late on for a second booking in the 0-0 draw, capping off a disappointing evening for United.
Fellaini from a statistical point of view had a good game however, and here's how.
- He completed a higher percentage of his passes (89) than any midfielder on the pitch.
- Fellaini also completed more passes (61) than any of his teammates, barring Nemanja Vidic (62).
- Fellaini made more defensive clearances (2) than any other United midfielder.
- His two successful dribbles was also the joint highest in the United team, along with Patrice Evra.
- He had more touches of the ball (80) than any other midfielder on the pitch.
- Defensively he made two tackles, two interceptions, and won three aerial duels.
- Fellaini made five fouls, more than any other player on the pitch.
That last one aside, it all sounds quite impressive, but did it actually look good?
Here's what United fans were saying on Twitter about his display...
What's the fuss about. Great point. Fellaini good game . #mufc— Aidan Edwards (@aidanedwards93) November 6, 2013
Kagawa showing his quality and Young and Fellaini showing they are not utd quality. #mufc— Jono (@jonomurphy7) November 6, 2013
fellaini looked good until the red card too! #mufc— Scott Taylor (@ScottTaylor1992) November 6, 2013
Just watching 2nd half of #mufc as been out for the evening. Fellaini had that coming all night. Totally out of his depth— Alex Goring Crook (@alex_crook) November 5, 2013
Any chance of an #MUFC appeal against this Fellaini red card? We could get him a three game ban if we win it— Tom (@tom_h1986) November 5, 2013
Everton owe us 26.5million pounds change from this Fellaini deal. #MUFC— BIG POPPA!!! (@Oluwa2G) November 5, 2013
Think some just want to see Fellaini fail.Apart from red card. He played well.But nobody will mention that Rooney and Giggs were poor #mufc— Tank. (@Mashale_5) November 5, 2013
I actually feel sorry for Fellaini tonight! He had an alright game! #MUFC— Danny B (@Dannyb444) November 5, 2013
Was Fellaini as bad as some are making out, or are views clouded by his red card and previous poor ones?
image: © nicksarebi