Find out a little more about Joe Hart’s potential replacement at Eastlands
Costel Pantilimon may be the man currently occupying Joe Hart’s position as first-choice goalkeeper at Manchester City, but the big Romanian could be about to face yet more competition for the coveted spot in the form of Fernando Muslera.
City are reportedly keen on securing the services of the Uruguay international, who is currently employed by Galatasaray in Turkey.
But despite his status as current no.1, club president Unal Aysal admitted in an interview with Turkish-football.com that “if a very substantial offer comes” the club would “consider it.”
With a potentially substantial bid in the offing, here are a few things you may not have realised about the South American shot-stopper.
1. Fernando Muslera’s £9.93m move from Lazio to Galatasaray makes him the fifth most expensive goalkeeper of all time. That’s two places behind Manchester United’s David De Gea (£18m) and two ahead of Liverpool new boy Simon Mignolet (£9m).
2. During his four-season spell in Rome, Muslera earned the nickname castorino among Lazio fans, which roughly translated as the “little beaver” made reference to his tireless work rate.
3. Muslera’s first season at Galatasaray ended on a high when, as well as winning the league title, the Uruguayan collected his 19th clean sheet of the season, setting a new all-time record in the Turkish Super Lig.
4. As goalkeeper of the Uruguay national side, Muslera has carved out a reputation as a fine penalty stopper, saving two penalties in their 2010 World Cup quarter-final victory over Ghana and another from Carlos Tevez in their 2011 Copa America quarter-final clash with Argentina.
5. The 27-year-old actually made his Champions League debut against Manchester United on September 19th at Old Trafford, saving a Nani penalty in a 1-0 defeat to the Red Devils. Gala would avenge that result with a 1-0 reversal in Turkey that saw Muslera claim his first clean sheet in the competition.
image: © jikatu