A select round-up of morning news relating to Manchester United…
Earlier this morning, we reported on quotes from David Moyes dismissing the speculation that Robin van Persie was unhappy at Old Trafford.
Having been rested for Wednesday’s match against Real Sociedad, the Dutchman is in line for a return to the team for this afternoon’s match against Stoke City.
Given how well Wayne Rooney and Shinji Kagawa performed in tandem against the Spaniards, there is an argument – however easily shot down – to be had that van Persie should not automatically walk back into the starting XI. But that decision rests with Moyes alone.
One decision the United manager could not sway was that of Cesc Fabregas to sign last summer.
In an interview with the Guardian, Fabregas reveals that he had no intention of leaving Barcelona this summer, despite the constant media speculation to the contrary.
“I never planned to go back this summer,” he said. “It’s not something I was even thinking about. It was always clear in my mind that I want to succeed at Barcelona and I’d give everything to triumph here.”
Given his start to the new campaign, it is clear he is being true to his word.
However, when asked if he would have joined United or would only return to England to reunite with Arsenal, Fabregas said, “I don’t know.”
And when he found out about United’s interest, he sought assurances from his club’s president and vice-president that he would feature regularly for the La Liga champions.
It makes you wonder what might have happened had he not received those promises. And while it is clear Fabregas is desperate to succeed long-term at Barcelona, in refusing to completely rule out a move to an English club other than the Gunners, United fans may still have hope, however misguided that may be.
image: © Ines11thiago