Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas reportedly went to check out the young Spaniard out in action this weekend.
This weekend, with the international break in full flow, Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas had some spare time to do with, as he pleased.
Now while you think he might have utilised the time to perfect his Dakar rally skills he instead decided to go take in a Spanish second division game - between Barcelona ‘B’ and Deportivo La Coruna.
Depor won the game, but AVB was there to cast his eye over one player in particular - teenage midfielder Sergi Samper.
Now you may have herd of Sergi Roberto, but Samper could be slightly more obscure for you.
So we are going to try and give you five facts on the player they are dubbing, predictably, the ‘next Xavi’ … although he plays more in the mould of Sergio Busquets.
And here they are…
1) The 18-year-old was born in the city on the 20th January 1995 and is a one club man, playing for Barcelona since the age of just six.
2) Samper has already caused ructions at Tottenham Hotspur before. Last season he was in the Barca side that took on Spurs at White Hart Lane in the NextGen Series. Barcelona won the game 2-0, with Samper earning rave reviews for his mature performance in the heart of midfield.
3) His NextGen performances were indeed very impressive last term. He was included in our team of the Group Stage last year due to his excellent performances - which was featured on the official NextGen site. His form also earned him a place in the Barca ‘B’ team this season - signing his contract with the outfit in June.
4) He has represented Spain at youth levels. He has played at both under-16, under-17 and is currently playing at under-18 level for his country.
5) While Spurs may be keen on the player, they are going to struggle to get him. It was reported just two days ago that Tata Martino has earmarked Samper, and Barca ‘B’ team-mate Patric, as future first-teamers - and will be monitoring them closely.
Do you think AVB could bring Sergi Samper to Tottenham Hotspur?
image: © castroquini-fcb