Tottenham Hotspur are in for a left-back. Reports earlier this week suggested Southampton’s Luke Shaw as the target but it’s a 26-year-old Italian who is now being strongly linked with a move to White Hart Lane.
Danny Rose has played admirably down the left side of Tottenham’s defence following a solid loan spell at Sunderland, but Andre Villas-Boas seems keen on adding depth to that area of the squad following Benoit Assou-Ekotto moving to Queens Park Rangers on loan.
According to Calciomercato.it, the player would prefer a move back to Italy but there are plenty of positive things about Tottenham Hotspur, which they can stress to sway his decision this winter or next summer.
Here’s a little more about him.
1) He moved to the North of Italy at the age of just 13-years-old to enhance his football career and he saw half of his contract at Genoa sold to Juventus for the princely sum of £500,000.
2) He started his career as a left sided central defender before eventually settling into a position at left-back.
3) He won the Campionato Primavera title, which includes youth teams from all Serie A and Serie B clubs, with Juventus in the final season he played any youth team football.
4) So far in his career he’s played senior football with four different teams; Genoa 2003-2007, Juventus 2007-2008, Genoa 2008-2011 and Zenit St Petersburg 2011-date.
5) He’s scored 12 senior goals in the history of his senior career, which goes with the three goals he’s bagged in all formats of youth team football with Italy.
6) He only became completely owned by a single club in January 2007 when Juventus bought the remaining 50% of his contract from Genoa.
7) He was reportedly deemed ‘too soft to be a centre back’ following a performance against Roma in the 2007/2008, the first season Juventus were back in Serie A following relegation to Serie B after the Italian football betting scandal.
8) His first goal in his second spell at Genoa in February 2009 was the winner in a match against Palermo.
9) Criscito has played for Italy at seven different levels throughout his career and has 20 caps for the senior side under his belt.
10) He was named in the Euro 2012 Italian squad but was withdrawn by the Italian FA when he came under investigation for match fixing. He was later cleared of all charges.
image: © sachab