Ajax thrashed Go Ahead Eagles 6-0 at the Amsterdam ArenA on Saturday afternoon.
Holland international Van Rhijn, who plays at right-back, is reportedly on Jose Mourinho's list of January transfer targets.
The Blues are likely to move for the 22-year-old if Cesar Azpilicueta leaves for Barcelona. Stamford Bridge officials are also looking to build for the future with Branislav Ivanovic turning 30 in February.
Inter Milan and PSG are also reportedly monitoring the defender's situation, who the Eredivisie club value at £7 million.
So, what else do we know about Van Rhijn? Here are five facts about the right-back Chelsea are scouting.
1) Ajax youth system - Van Rhijn turned down offers from ADO Den Haag and Feyenoord to join Ajax at the age of 12, in 2002. He then represented the Ajax B1 and A1 teams before making his first team debut in December 2011 against ADO Den Haag in the Eredivisie.
2) Netherlands international - Van Rhijn has represented the Dutch national team on various youth levels - U17, U19 and U21. He received his first senior call up for the Netherlands, under coach Louis van Gaal last year - but has been left out of upcoming qualifiers against Hungary and Turkey.
3) Versatile - Van Rhijn played as a centre-back early on in his career, and despite establishing himself at right-back for Ajax, he gives manager Frank de Boer the nice option of playing him in the middle.
4) Twitter - The Ajax youngster isn't as prolific on Twitter as some of his teammates. Van Rhijn's tweets as @vanRhijn2 and has only 2,374 followers. Ajax's South African midfielder Thulani Serero has more than 30,000 followers.
5) Agent - The Dutchman is managed by Essel sports management, a company which also represents Napoli star Dries Mertens and Atletico Madrid defender Toby Alderweireld.
Here's a short video showcasing the 22-year-old's talent:
Chelsea fans, would Van Rhijn be a good signing? Let us know your thoughts.
image: © pupismyname