He arrived at Anfield on deadline day, but how much do we actually know about Liverpool's new defender?
Liverpool were in the market for much of the summer for a new centre-back and managed to sign two of them, one was Mamadou Sakho from Paris Saint Germain. He is not just famous for his footballing ability, so here are ten facts about Liverpool’s latest big money signing.
1) Paul Le Guen handed him his league debut at the age of 17 in 0-0 draw against Valenciennes in October 2007.
2) Though defending is what he is famous for, he signed for the club aged 10 as an attacker. Since converting into a defender for PSG, those attacking instincts have brought him seven club goals.
3) The French international arrives at Liverpool with a degree of pedigree behind him, having been part of PSG’s cup winning side in 2009/10, he was also part of last season’s title winning side, the club’s first since 1994.
4) He has been sent off four times in his career.
5) Sakho got a call up to the international side in 2010 by Laurent Blanc who handed him his senior debut against England. He has made 14 appearances for his country so far.
6) Off the field he was accused of slapping a journalist after PSG lost 3-0 to Lorient in 2010 when he was out clubbing.
7) If he isn’t eye-catching for his football then he certainly sports some eye-catching footwear, as he has been known to wear boots that have 2,500 crystals on each foot.
8) If Jose Enrique were to get injured at Liverpool along with Aly Cissokho, then Sakho could be the man to fill the void. Whilst Sakho’s favoured position is at the heart of the defence, he can also operate at left-back.
9) His hairstyles may remind many Liverpool fans of former striker Djibril Cisse, but in Paris supporters gave him the nickname ‘Kirikou’ after a character in a French animated film because of his hairstyle.
10) He became PSG’s youngest captain at the age of 17 and 8 months, and also in the history of the French league. Another leader added to Liverpool’s ranks.
image: © psgmag.net