Manchester United transfer news: €36m for Herrera and improved offer for Italian?

De Rossi Tackle On Rooney - England v Italy Euro 2012

A select round-up of transfer news relating to Manchester United, including Daniele De Rossi, Ander Herrera and Wayne Rooney.

Another day of rejections hasn’t stopped Manchester United in their pursuit of midfield reinforcements, with reports that they will return with improved offers for both Ander Herrera of Athletic Bilbao and Roma’s Daniele De Rossi.

An initial bid of €30million for Herrera was rejected by the Spanish club last week, but the Telegraph reports that David Moyes is prepared to pay his €36million release-clause prior to the transfer window shutting on Monday.

The same newspaper also claims United will make an improved offer for De Rossi, despite the player’s apparent happiness to see out his career in Italy.

Of course one or both deals could be an attempt to force Everton’s hand regarding Marouane Fellaini. But with United’s midfield in serious need of rejuvenation, we can see two new players joining in the coming days – most likely the Belgian and Herrera.

One player United will certainly be able to call on this season is Wayne Rooney, after Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho admitted defeat in his pursuit of the striker.

Speaking after last night’s Super Cup final, the Portuguese said, “It’s the end (of his spending). We have a good group.”

And in regard to Rooney he said, “For all parties, it’s finished.”

So there you have it: an emphatic end to a drawn-out saga.

image: © Football.ua

Register for MANCHESTER UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch